The Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Development (MSMED) Council is an interagency body established on January 24, 1991 by virtue of Republic Act No. 6977 (as amended by RA 8289 on May 6, 1997, and by RA 9501 on May 23, 2008, and further amended by RA 10644 on July 14, 2014), otherwise known as the “Magna Carta for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises”.
The Council is responsible for the promotion, growth, and development of MSMEs in the country by facilitating and closely coordinating national efforts in MSME development. It is attached to the DTI and is composed of the following:
The Bureau of Small and Medium Enterprise Development (BSMED) of the DTI is designated to act as the Council Secretariat.
Powers and Functions:
- To help establish the needed environment and opportunities conducive to the growth and development of the MSME sector;
- To recommend to the President and the Congress all policy matters affecting MSMEs;
- To coordinate and integrate various government and private sector activities relating to MSME development;
- To review existing policies of government agencies that would affect the growth and development of MSMEs and recommend changes to the President and Congress through the Committee on Economic Affairs of the Senate and the Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship Development of the House of Representatives, whenever deemed necessary. This shall include efforts to simplify rules and regulations, as well as review of the applicability and relevance of procedural and documentary requirements in the registration, financing and other activities relevant to MSMEs the result shall be included in the annual report to be submitted to Congress;
- To monitor and determine the progress of various agencies geared towards the development of the sector. This shall include overseeing, Interior and Local Government as well as private sector groups/associations, the development among MSMEs;
- To promulgate implementing guidelines, programs and operating principles as may be deemed proper and necessary in the light of government policies and objectives of the Act;
- To formulate a six-year MSMED Plan in consultation with the private sector to be integrated into the Medium Term Philippine Development Plan;
- To provide the appropriate policy and coordinative framework in assisting relevant government agencies, in coordination with the NEDA and the Coordinating Council for the Philippine Assistance Program, as may be necessary, in the tapping of local and foreign funds for MSME development; and,
- To promote the productivity and viability of MSMEs by way of directing and/or assisting relevant government agencies and institutions at the national, regional, and provincial levels.
For more information on the programs/projects of the Council, write or call the MSMED Council Secretariat.
Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
5th Floor, Trade and Industry Building 361 Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenue, Makati City
Phone: (+63 2) 897.7596 • 890.4968
Fax: (+63 2) 896.7916